Thursday, October 25, 2012

The harmful effects of cigarette smoking warning labels


Cigarette smoking is terrible for your health.

Duh.

Yet as a freedom-loving American living abroad, I've been shocked by the precautionary graphic images that many tobacco companies are legally required to place on the fronts of their European-sold cigarette packs.

Is raising awareness for smoking-related health risks meritable?

Yes.

Can we be certain that the right message is being communicated to our youth about these risks?

No.


Exhibit A:

Smoking is highly addictive, don't start




Ok we get it-- if you start smoking you'll become addicted. Let's take another look at that image:






A SYRINGE? You're trying to get people to stop smoking with an image of a GODDAMNED SYRINGE?


Guess what? If I buy a pack of cigarettes that has a picture of a syringe telling me I'll get hooked, I'm NOT thinking about getting addicted to cigarettes. What I AM thinking is: shit, at least I'm NOT giving bj's in a back alley so I can shoot smack. 






Exhibit B:

Smoking can damage the sperm and reduce fertility

Ok, I've got a couple issues with this one, but here's my number one: let's say I'm 16-year-old François going to the store to buy a pack of cigs. I'm not about to look down at this picture and think mon dieu, my future offspring might be in jeopardy. I'm going to think Hell yeah! I'm not wearin a raincoat tonight!!! 

Completely ineffective. You might as well write "Cigarettes: the coolest form of contraception since pulling out."

Note: although wordreference.com says differently, I'm like 93% sure that spermatozoïdes is not a real word.





One more thing:


To quit smoking: [website] or call [#] .15 cents/min


Now let me ask you, who on God's green earth is going to pay 15 cents a minute to have some guy on the phone tell them to get off their ass, walk down to the pharmacy, and buy a pack of Nicorette? It's like the anti-smoking lobby is saying "yeah, we know we're half-assing it."

Unreal.


If I want to quit cigarettes I'll give $500 to my best friend and tell him to donate it to the Westboro Baptist Church if I ever light up again.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Causes of smoking One puff of cigarette smoke contains
    fifteen billion particles of in injurious matters.
    Nicotine is one of them.It preventsthe free flowof blood through the veins.


    benefits of stop smoking
    smoking health effects
    health effects of smoking
    benefits of quit smoking
    benefits quit smoking
    benefits to quit smoking

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is well known that smoking is dangerous in many different ways. Smoking over a period of time leads to many different health problems. Smoking is particularly damaging to the heart and lungs. Smoking can lead to a number of lung diseases or disorders including COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder), lung cancer, Emphysema, and shortness of breath. But exactly how can smoking destroy your lungs.

    Article source : http://1betteroff.blogspot.com/2013/06/what-are-damages-of-smoking-most-facts.html

    ReplyDelete